Saturday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Call 24 hours: 504-821-5009
Degas House is the only home of French Impressionist artist Edgar Degas anywhere in the world that is open to the public. Built during the original development of the Esplanade Ridge Neighborhood, Degas House dates from the early 1850s. In 1872-73, Edgar Degas came from Paris for a visit with his uncle Michel Musson, successful businessman and former postmaster. In New Orleans, Degas developed a new style of painting he referred to as “better art”. This evolved into the first Impressionist exhibition in 1874, one year after he left the Crescent City. Degas House supports its historic mission through guided tours by Degas’ great-grand-nieces and as a premier venue for corporate events and some of the highest-profile weddings in the United States. Once the home of the Markey-Picard Institute for Girls, Degas House has the ability to accommodate up to 600 people. To book an event or a historic tour, visit www.degashouse.com.